What is Mid-Brain?
Dr. Makoto Shichida who devoted more than 40 years of research into the functioning of the brain, actually uses the term “Interbrain” rather than Mid-Brain, but we will keep to use the term “Mid-Brain” as this has been popularized by recent developments. Mid-Brain, also called as mesencephalon, in scientific terms, is the link between left and the right brain and a key to open the subconscious mind. It is the portion of the central nervous system (CNS), located below the cerebral cortex and above the hindbrain. It is the small region of the brain associated with vision, hearing, motor control, sleep/awake and sensory functions.
What Happens When Mid-Brain is Activated?"
Once activated, it balances the left and right brain. It allows the retrieval of information between left and right brain in a more efficient way, which leads to more proficiency in learning and absorbing information. It also brings out and strengthens characteristics such as creativity, memory, application skills, self-confidence and the ability to concentrate. Ultimately this strengthened mental ability helps the child to perform better academically and it also increases the mind power. Also a person with activated Mid-Brain would be able to see the objects even when blindfolded.The ability to read blindfolded is a sign of their mid-brain being activated. It allows the child to use both (left and right) brains simultaneously.
How Mid-Brain Activation is Done?
This is a very interesting class in which children enjoy a lot. They wait very eagerly for its classes. During this class they do various activities like Zumba Dance, Brain Gym exercises, very light Physical Exercise, Aerobics, Yoga, Puzzle Solving, Quizzes, Riddles, some Games and finally followed by deep Meditation.
Though it's not a dance institute but in this special school they do learn some new dance steps too which is an extra-curricular activity in itself.
When Can It Be Done?
Mid-Brain activation is best done in the age 4 to 16, as in this age-group the secretion of the hormone Melatonin is the maximum. The Pineal Gland (Mid-Brain) secretes two hormones viz. Melatonin (in the dark) and Serotonin (in light). Mid-Brain activation increases the secretion of Melatonin hormone, thereby, increasing the memory power, concentration, etc.
As individuals grow older, the brain has the tendency to automatically assign one hemisphere of the brain to become more dominant in performing certain task (a process known as Lateralization). This means we end up using much less of our brain that we actually could. The process of activating the Mid-Brain reverses this trend and allows us to use our brain more efficiently, hence the improvement in cognitive abilities.
What Are the Benefits of Mid-Brain Activation?
Mid-Brain Activation is beneficial for the child in numerous ways.
- Enhances concentration and improves memory.
- Makes the child self-confident.
- Augments the articulate thinking style.
- Upsurges the creativity and imagination.
- Aids in better visualization capability.
- Increases the intuition power of the child.
- Boosts the absorption capability.
- Makes the child to cultivate thinking out-of-the-box capability.
- Reduced stage and exam fever.
- Child gets to learn how to cope up with the stress during adverse situations.
- Child begins to learn, read and interpret the things in a faster and smarter way.
- It leads to balanced left and right brain, thereby making the child more proficient in doing the things.
- Improves the emotional stability.
- Regular brain exercises increases the production of new neurons (brain cells) so person can have increased brain volume.
- Increased brain volume helps you to take sound sleep, which in turn will make you stress free.
- Brain Gym exercises help your body to control weight, cholesterol and blood pressure thus keeping you hale and hearty.